Monday, December 22, 2008

Close to Home and Far Away

Blue and Purple Man, by Ian Donaldson

The North Fourth Art Center art show, called Close to Home and Far Away, was held at the Eula Mae Edwards Gallery at the Clovis Community College, from November 5 – December 19, 2008. I had hoped to get there a lot sooner so that I could tell you about it while the show was still open, but I was hampered by this pesky knee replacement recovery. I was finally able to drive myself to the show only on the day before it closed.

Pauline, by Esteban Lujan


I'm glad I was able to get a look at the paintings. (Please forgive the glare from my camera's flash that appears on almost every painting. I couldn't figure out how to avoid it). They were joyful and full of color. I'm certainly no art critic, but these paintings, displayed along with photos of the artists, made me happy and made me want to know more about the painters and the North Fourth Art Center.

Here is some information about both from a recent press release: Close to Home and Far Away captures the immediate surroundings of artists, portraying people, animals and places with an eye open to new experiences. The exhibit includes works by Jon Andazola, Elaine Archuleta, Heather Aragon, Cindy Billings, Cindy Brannan, Cheryle Coburn, Ian Donaldson, Marc Frye, Lena Han, Angelica Harrison, Esteban Lujan, Jimmy McGlaughlin, Dolores Montoya, Georgia Moya, Priscilla Rodriguez, Steve Romero, Adam Smith, Stephanie Trujillo, Helene Valdez, all artists from the VSA Day Arts Program at North Fourth Art Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Flowers and House, by Angelica Harrison


These artists turn ordinary moments into memorable works of art created in acrylic, oil pastel, pencil, prismacolor, mixed media and watercolor. The goal of the exhibit is to highlight the artistic achievements of individuals with disabilities and provide opportunities to exhibit and sell their artwork statewide.

VSA arts of New Mexico offers inclusive arts education, creative employment and training, production, exhibition and presentation opportunities for all New Mexicans, with a focus on people with disabilities and other diverse social and cultural perspectives. VSA arts of New Mexico operates Albuquerque's N4th Theater & Gallery/ North Fourth Art Center and is affiliated with the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. For more information visit http://www.vsartsnm.org/.

1 comment:

Judy said...

This sounds like a great show to attend. My son is an artist and I always love attending shows and seeing the work. Loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing. I hope you continue to get better and you and your family have a wonderful holiday.