Wednesday, May 27, 2009

This I Believe

This I Believe; The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women (Holt, 2006) is a collection of very short essays by the famous and the not-so-famous; some from the Edward R. Murrow radio series in the 1950s and some from the National Public Radio series that has just been completed. 

Each person has expressed a core belief that is central to his life and the result is inspiring and thought provoking. How would you express your own belief--your own personal values--while avoiding "religious dogma, preaching, or editorializing?"

Here are a few quotes from the book:

I believe that my own good fortune brings with it a responsibility to give back to the world.   ~Bill Gates

I believe in the connection between strangers when they reach out to each other.   ~Miles Goodwin

I now again believe there is more good than evil; more of those who create, or wish to create, than those who destroy; more of those who love than those who hate.   ~Maximilian Hodder (1950 series)

I believe in cultivating hidden talents, buried and unrelated to what we do for a living.   ~Mel Rusnov

I believe in getting up in the morning with a serene mind and a heart holding many hopes.   ~Carl Sandburg (1950s series)

To imagine that one's own church, civilization, nation, or family is the chosen people is, I believe, as wrong as it would be for me to imagine that I myself am God.    ~Arnold Toynbee (1950s series)

...I believe that if enough ordinary people back up our desire for a better world with action, we can, in fact, accomplish absolutely extraordinary things.   ~Jody Williams, founding coordinator of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, whose interest in advocacy began with a leaflet on global activism handed to her outside a subway station.

You can read the essays published in the book and many more, and browse the archives of the 1950s series at This I, "a public dialogue about belief, one essay at a time." You can also contribute an essay--guidelines are given--and find out how to use these essays in your home, your school, and in your community.

1 comment:

JC said...

I will have to look this book up.

Thanks for the info on it ...