Monday, September 27, 2010

Gone Away; Farewell to Our Bertie Pierre


A neighbor came running at night with good news
Excited, she didn't get the gate closed firmly
And our little band of pirate dogs took a walk outside

When I found that they were gone
I called frantically
The big dogs returned, running back inside the gate to safety

I searched the dark road for Bertie
And found him, mortally wounded
Crawling home as best he could

Brave little Bert
Strong little Bert

A little while later
After we had done what could be done
He died in my arms, his head against my cheek

The next day Beez saw a roadrunner
With a glint in his eye

He took it as a message 
That Bertie is well
And running around in the great beyond

Waiting for us...
Waiting to make us laugh again



To celebrate Bertie's life, see The Adventures of Bertie Pierre.

10 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, Clair...I am in tears reading this. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I've never met you or little Bertie Pierre in person, but I felt a real affection for the little fellow and always loved reading of his adventures. My condolences to you and all your family---both two-legged and four. You gave Bertie Pierre a good life, and he gave you---and your readers---much joy in return.
Love, Beth

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful little soul. A little creature with the energy and sweetness of our petite Peepare doesn't just disappear, doen't just evaporate into the cosmos. Our little Peepare will always be with us!

the7msn said...

Oh, Clair, this is such sad news. My heart is breaking for you. I hope you can find comfort in the roadrunner's message.

Janet said...

Aw, so sorry! Precious memories and photos though.

becky said...

Oh, Clair I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Bertie Pierre... I hope you guys are doing ok... very sad indeed.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

This is a beautiful tribute. So sad for you, though. I know you will treasure the photos and posts you have about this feisty little entertainer! When you were helping me work on getting better photos you referenced some of these posts done before I started following, and I enjoyed them so much! A little character with a lot of personality you captured well with your photos!

JC said...

I am so sorry !!!

Linda said...

I am so sorry. What a spirited wee dog. A personality that strong will still make his presence felt.

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

Ahhh... that made me cry! Poor little Bertie. I am SO sorry for your loss, I know he left a hole in your family.

All my best Clair. Again, I'm so very sorry.

Raymona

Unknown said...

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting little Bertie Pierre, I know how much a part of our lives these little guys become. At least, I can say that I will know the rest of his wonderful family. Thank you for this special tribute, Clair.
Jeanne