Thursday, March 29, 2012

Still Sockin' Away

Just because I haven't been blogging, doesn't mean I've just been kicking back and doing nothing. There's always a little sock project going on, and I carry my knitting just about everywhere with me. 

Socks for me (Kertzer On Your Toes, Color #3823)

A knitting moment here or there--in the car, or in an auditorium while waiting for the lecture to begin--adds up to a heel or a bit of ribbing or the shaping of a toe. 

... more socks for me  
Before I know it, another pair of socks is off the needles, and the next ones are ready to be started.

and more for me (Kertzer On Your Toes, Color #3801)

A pair for my sister, not too matchy, but all from the
same skein of Wisdom Poems Sock Yarn in Cold Fire ...

and another for her (Heart and Sole Black Jack)...
As you can see, I am still in love with self-striping yarn. It packs a lot of entertainment into every round of stitches. Yes, I am easily entertained, as other knitters have said before me.

This pair went to my son, Ben, in New York City.
Pretty rustic stuff for a city boy, I know (Mini Mochi Autumn Rainbow).

A work in progress. My sister and I really love this yarn (Heart and Sole Green Envy),
and have discovered that 3 skeins will make two pairs of socks, one for me and one for her. She buys, I knit. 

10 comments:

the7msn said...

Missed you.

Those socks are simply too beautiful to ever wear shoes.

Margie's Musings said...

They are all beautiful! You are so talented!

becky said...

You, kick back & do nothing?! Didn't think so. LOVE your socks- they are all so cute! A friend at work knitted me a pair for Christmas- I am amazed at the detail... I don't know how y'all do it. Lots of patience required! Have a nice weekend, Clair.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Self striping yarn rocks! Wow! Love what you did with the yarn. Those socks are gorgeous!

I not only took a break from blogging this year, but I also took a break from spinning and knitting, too. I think I was burned out. Instead I have been doing a lot of reading, riding, and relaxing with my family and animals. It's been good. :)

~Lisa

charlotte g said...

You all have awfully small feet. Honestly, after "those are pretty" that is my first reaction. I wear a 91/2. One son wears a 12-13, the other an 18. Grandkids also at least 81/2 or 91/2. Those are shoe sizes. Oh well, don't thik I wanted to knscalrks, anyway, but I sure admire yours.

charlotte g said...

I'm curious. Teens here have a fad of wearing wildly colored socks, some striped, polka-dotted, similar stripes but different colors, all kinds. THEY DO NOT WEAR MATCHING SOCLS.

aRE KIDS THERE DOING THIS? dIFFERENT REGIONS HAVE DIFFERENT FADS. tHIS ONE ACTUALLY TICKLES MY SMILE METER A LOT.

clairz said...

Charlotte, when I made socks for Ben, they seemed to go on forever, so I guess our feet are kind of small. Not as small as those socks appear, though--socks do stretch a bit.

Here's a confession for you, strange because I spent my whole working life with kids--I don't see any kids any more in my day-to-day life. Next winter when we drive by one of the high schools I'll try to catch a peek of sock fashions!

Some of my fellow knitters take great care to make sure that both socks match exactly, but I like the more random look.

clairz said...

Lisa, this is the year of taking a break from blogging. Perhaps it's because we've all been writing hundreds of posts over the last few years, or perhaps it's because we are off doing Facebook or Pinterest, but an awful lot of the bloggers I read have been slowing down, taking a break, or just not blogging any more at all.

I'm glad to see that you are still doing the occasional post. I would miss your wonderful photos if you stopped altogether.

LadyFi said...

What wonderful socks!

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

I LOVE MY SOCKS! I get comments from strangers! They're the most comfortable and beautiful socks I've ever owned.