Friday, October 19, 2012

Not Socks! Look What I Made


I finally knit something that wasn't a sock! My sister, Auntie Bucksnort, models the shrug I knitted for her. 



I used Malabrigo Sock Yarn in the Caribeno colorway. The shrug took less than one skein, which contains 440 yards. 


The Dream Shrug instructions can be found here, so you can make one too! You just knit a rectangle with sleeve ribbing at each end, stitch up the sleeve seams, then make a five-inch ribbing around the body opening. Either side can be worn up. The lace has lots of give so the whole garment is fairly stretchy and very comfortable. It's the perfect cover-up for air-conditioned rooms.


Note: The ripple pattern is worked over a multiple of 18 stitches. The directions call for 54 stitches cast on; because I wanted three ripple pattern repeats instead of the two in the original pattern, I cast on an additional 18 stitches for a total of 72. After the sleeve ribbing, I decreased the total stitches down to 54, which gave me the three ripple pattern repeats of 18 stitches each. That sounds more complicated than it is when you actually do it. Trust me.

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

That's beautiful, Clariz! Wish I had one for those chilly days, but I haven't knitted in SO long, I'm not sure I'm up to the task! Love your captures! Thank Aunty Bucksnort for modeling!!! Enjoy your weekend!

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

I love it! I would wear it every day if I could. Every one ast work wants one.

It keeps me warm and is so light and airy I forget it's there. I consider it like a piece of jewelry, it's so ornamental.

Thank you dear sister!

Joyful said...

That s a beautiful shrug. I love the design and the colours ;-) Happy weekend to you Clairz.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

I like your socks. I love your little kiddo sweaters. I ADORE this shrug! Now, if I can just find my "how to knit" book for a refresher....

Joyful said...

Hi again, I had a question about your adjustment to the pattern. Since you added another 18 stitches, how much wider was the sweater? Or did you use smaller needles?

clairz said...

Penny/Joyful, I used the needles called for in the pattern. I was worried that the shrug wouldn't be big enough through the sleeves to fit over a dress/blouse, so by adding an extra ripple it came out longer. If you compare the picture of my sister wearing the shrug to the picture of the model in the pattern, you will see that our version comes closer to the waistline. Because the whole thing is very stretchy, it fits quite nicely. I've asked my sister to take some measurements for you, and will add another comment when she gets back to me.

clairz said...

Penny, the measurement of the ripple part of the shrug is 14 inches top to bottom as you view the photo of the back. Add the two bands of 5-inch ribbing, and the total length from top to bottom is 24 inches. Part of that folds over at the top for the collar. Hope this helps.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a lucky sister! It's lovely.

charlotte g said...

Beautiful~my eyes can't do it, but they can appreciate. How lovely.