Friday, May 19, 2017

Irises!

Last year at this time we had a lovely picnic with friends at the Hondo Iris Farm. After we finished our lunch, I could hardly wait to tour the gardens and pick out some iris plants to bring home. A couple of weeks later, I ordered some more rhizomes from their catalog for fall planting.

We set up raised beds between the house and the chicken yard, in a nice spot partly shaded by a huge old Chinese elm and well-serenaded by sparrows, finches, doves, and "our" mockingbird. Then the wait was on, dreaming of irises all winter.

All the early and midseason plants have bloomed with either single or double stalks of flowers. Next year there will be even more. I still have a couple of late season bloomers to look forward to, but I wanted to share the blossoms we have enjoyed so far.

Edith Wolford 

Fiery Temper

This is the same Fiery Temper in another light--quite an amazing difference, I think!

Florentine Silk

Best Bet 


Night Ruler

Spice Lord

Starship Enterprise

4 comments:

Nan said...

I absolutely love them! What color! I'm so happy they bloomed for you.

Margie's Musings said...

Those are lovely, Clair! I wish I had some of my hybrid iris' from my old home!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So so beautiful -- and I must admit to being a tad envious!!

Margie's Musings said...

I hope you will come back to this blog and post some more.