Thursday, December 14, 2017

Orchard Before Harvest

As I'm kicking through the falling leaves
Loving the clear blue skies over this pecan orchard
And watching little dog Petey run ten miles for every mile I walk
Booming machinery works the next orchard over
 Autumn skies there patched by clouds of dust
My heart lifts a bit at this morning scene
And I feel hope, hope, hope


The frost has come


The trees stand ready


The nuts may not know what's coming

*****

P.S. I hope you used your secret decoder rings!


7 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I am so glad to see you are back here posting again!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

New Mexico Autumn. With or without secret decoder rings, your pictures and words bring back lovely memories of the year we were supposed to leave New Mexico for Texas before Thanksgiving ... but just could not bring ourselves to do so!!

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

One of my favorite times of the year!

Owlfarmer said...

Our pecans (the ones that bore this year) managed to escape complete annihilation by squirrels for the first time in ages. Ours isn't an orchard, but there are eight trees of at least two different varieties on the property. Both are too small for commercial propagation. Still, it's nice to see that they grow so well in that part of New Mexico, since it's one of our several options for relocation, and I'd hate to live entirely without pecans. Thanks for the post.

clairz said...

Owlfarmer, your comment makes me wonder what the pecan growers here do about squirrels. I've only ever seen a couple of ground squirrels around here and they mostly stay on our property.

Nan said...

There's a nice piece here.

http://www.buffettnews.com/2017/12/17/27244/

clairz said...

Nan, so glad that you "got" my acrostic.