Saturday, November 12, 2022

Horse Rescue

Do inanimate objects have souls?


For many years now, I've watched the decline of this poor horse in the yard of an abandoned house. From the road he looked like one of those mechanical horses outside supermarkets that kids would ride for a quarter. I used to dream of rescuing the poor thing. 

This year, as a birthday wish, I gave a sort of hero's quest to my son and husband. Please, please, rescue that horse from that terrible neglect and let me give him a home. 

They actually did it! They found the property owner and made sure they would be able to "rescue" the horse. Then they discovered something--this was no mechanical horse on a base that would stand on the ground--this was a horse made of cement! He was extremely heavy and his poor legs were broken off. He needed me more than ever. 

My son gathered a bunch of big burly friends. They brought trucks. They brought work gloves. This morning they went to get my boy. 

He was in tough shape, and so heavy the rebar bent when they tried to stand him up

It took a lot of strength to move him into place

And here he is, upright once again after all those years of lying in the dirt. 

His name is Chauncey, after the pony that "belonged" to me on a ranch in Arizona I once visited as a child. You can read about that visit, that pony, and the cowboy who gave him to me here in the post called Tenderfeet. 





No comments: