Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Little More of That West Texas Talk

Here are a few more West Texas sayings that didn't fit into yesterday's post:
The chances are slim to none, and slim done got up and left
Tired of listening to a line, or tired of listening to a telephone solicitor: I've got a cow; I don't need your bull
If it wud'n for the flies, she'd have no friends at all
You're looking at me like a cow at a new fence 
Smiling like a jackass eating cactus
If dumb was dirt, he'd cover about an acre

Here are some handy words and phrases:
I might could do that
I was just fixin' to do that
Y’all, and its plural, ALL y’all

A little guide to some of the words you will hear: 
All = oil
Ass = ice, or iced (Note: When your waitress asks if you want ass-tea, don't be offended)
Far = fire 
Hah, h'ar yew = Hi, how are you?
Tard = tired

Last, but not least, here's a little West Texas jibe at Yankees:
Yankees are kinda like hemorrhoids, they're not too bad when they come down and go back up, but they're a real pain in the butt when they come down and stay.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I say some of these too. I'm always fixn to do something.

June Saville said...

Claire
You haemorrhoid you!
Cheers
June in Oz

Eric S. said...

Love the slang, You forgot

"Fair ta midlin", meaning a mediocre day.

Yankee's and hemorrhoids, LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a good friend here who I met shortly after I (as well as she) was moving here in Clovis 4 yrs ago. She is from Maine. Here in Clo/West Texas, it is another world. I was moving from Anchorage, AK and so she & I both went through a bit of culture shock together. I was born in E. Texas but have lived in other states most of my life. She has adjusted well though as she was bonding with a local church group, she went through alot of teasing about her accent.
Northanna

clairz said...

Hey, wait a minute. There's someone from Maine living in Clovis? That's where I'm from too, although I never had the accent, having left at the age of three months.