Tuesday, January 19, 2010

64 Sweaters for Knit for Kids: Part 2

Here are photos of the rest of the latest batch of sweaters I am about to send off to Knit for Kids (the rest are here). The program was started in 1996 by Guideposts and to date over half a million handmade sweaters have been distributed in the U.S. and worldwide. I started knitting this simple pattern several years ago, with the seemingly unreachable goal of sending 100 sweaters. I think I'm going to make it!

The Guideposts people have recently turned over Knit for Kids to a group called World Vision, a humanitarian organization dedicated to helping children all over the world. If you have sent sweaters to Knit for Kids in the past, be sure to check their website for the new address.

Once at the website, you will be able to see photos of sweaters and kids, and to download the very simple patterns. Out of the many, many photos I have seen, I have yet to see two sweaters that look alike.

Please pass on the word about this organization and their work. Encourage your knitting and crocheting friends to make just one sweater. I'll bet they'll want to make more!







2 comments:

Webster said...

These are lovely sweaters! I would like to see one modeled on a child - is that possible for you . . . to find a random kid somewhere to try on a sweater and take a picture?
(without seeming like a pervert, I mean!)

clairz said...

Webster, I hate to say this especially as I have worked with children all my life--but I actually don't know any kids at all here in our new area. You can see children modeling that rather chunky Knit for Kids sweater on their web page, though.