Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mitten Weather


We have just emerged from a rare week of really cold weather which reminded me that I never showed you these mittens that I made quite a while back. The yarn and pattern came from Knit Picks, a fine online company that supplies some very nice yarns in seemingly unlimited color ranges. These mittens are part of a kit* (a gift from that nice Beez) that provides enough yarn for SIX pairs of mittens, each representing a different cold weather month. Well, six months of cold weather somewhere - not here in the Chihuahuan Desert. 

The yarn supplied with the kit is Palette, which is 100% Peruvian wool. Take a look at all the colors it comes in by searching "Palette yarn" on the Knit Picks website.

I plan to (eventually) make the other five pairs of mittens in my kit. The design in the one pair I have completed ("November") is pretty abstract to me, but if I scrunch up my eyes and stand way back I can make out some falling leaves.



The back side is a nice design, too, although I messed up in a couple of places. The next pair I am working on has deer and mountains, and some lovely lavender and blue and white shades. Perhaps they'll be ready for mitten weather when it comes again next year.

*****

*As far as I can tell, this particular mitten kit is no longer offered.

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful mittens, Claire!! We definitely need mittens these days in Seattle! Hope you have a great mitten knitting week ahead! Enjoy!

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

Definitely falling maple leaves. Very pretty. And wow, did we need mittens!!

Joyful said...

Nicely done! I've never seen or heard of such interesting mitt patterns. I'll be interesting in seeing more of them.

Kate said...

I could use a pair of those right now. Current temp is
-10 degrees, and that's not counting the wind chill temp. Guess it's going to be a homebound day...again!

JC said...

Those gloves are fabulous. They look like leaves. I saw it after you mentioned it.

You are very talented.

xo,
JC

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

No mittens needed although I am wearing socks (that's cool for here) -- but I'd sure wear that pair with joy if I needed some. Aren't you glad you don't need them 6 months out of the year though? No matter how beautiful they are?