Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Aguirre Spring

We've always meant to go to Aguirre Spring, but somehow never did. Now that we've been there, we'll be going back again and again. Run by the Bureau of Land Management, it is located on the opposite (east) side of the Organ Mountains from Las Cruces. 

We look at the mountains from the other side every day. We have passed by the turnoff the the campground/picnic area many, many times. I am so glad we took the time to drive in and do a little exploration. 

The air was so clean, it was absolutely delicious. It was quiet, except for birdsong. The plants and trees were varied--sotol (see below) and alligator juniper were a couple that I recognized. 

The back side of the Organ Mountains

This is the view down toward the Tularosa Basin. You can see part of the White Sands Missile Range to the right.


There were little trees growing way up there between the rocky outcrops

I loved the way the light was shining through these sotol leaves
Nice!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful as always. This looks like such a serene place. I think the gypsy in you may have found a home!

becky said...

Looks like nice place to explore, Clair! Not by yourself, though. Those signs DO make you think!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I'm a mostly silent follower, but I just had to tell you how much I enjoy your perspective on NM and it's beauty and uniqueness.
We often forget we live in "the wild west" until we come across warnings like this one. Here in Burque, folks are always wandering off in the foothills and getting lost, hurt or worse.
I love your photos of a beauty of an area. The Olde Bagg, Linda

Anonymous said...

ha ha! nice indeed.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Good advice on the "nice" sign; I'm guessing lots of folks take it and some sorry ones don't! Yikes, that could be scary.

Love the shot of the sotol. (Notice how I just learned from your blog what it's called? Normally I would have said, "The green stuff.") You're a great teacher!

sonia a. mascaro said...

What a beautiful ladscape! I would love to know this place. You took amazing pictures!
Very useful the warning. I fear rattlesnakes so much.

Linda said...

Wow, lots of hazards. I'm not sure how 2 people are better than 1 when it comes to rockfalls. Presumably one digs the other out.