Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What's Your Storm Story?

When we lived in New Hampshire, digging out was a regular winter chore

Our son, Ben, spent Christmas with us here in southern New Mexico and was planning to travel back to his home in New York City from the El Paso airport on Tuesday, Dec. 28. Even though the big blizzard was over, the cleanup was not, making any kind of travel a big mess. At first, his connecting flight from Dallas to New York was cancelled, but he was able to book a different route and left El Paso yesterday for Chicago. However, once he arrived in Chicago, the flight to New York was again cancelled.

He faced a choice--four days in Chicago until he could get a flight to NYC, or a return flight to El Paso so he could finish out the week with his family. He chose us! However, this meant that he traveled almost 2500 air miles yesterday (and is still a long way from home). We went to El Paso and back twice, giving us around 5 hours on the road. His luggage could be just about anywhere, even in New Jersey, as I believe that was one of his proposed destinations for a short while.

It was a long day for us all, but we ended up with some extra holiday time together, even if Ben has no clean socks. I know that there are lots more Christmas holiday blizzard stories out there--what is yours?

8 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, what a mess!!! Fortunately, my daughter was able to fly into Seattle from Michigan and back without any difficulties! I was so glad because she had surprised me with her visit and I hadn't seen her in seven years, so it was a fantastic Christmas for me and thankfully her travel had no hang ups or layovers! I know you must have had a great Christmas, too! Wishing you a very Happy New Year as well!

Sylvia

Martha Z said...

A long day for all of you. We have neighbors stranded in Chicago on their way back from Pennsylvania, I guess that Chi Town is a major transfer spot.
Weather is one reason we didn't stay in Bishop (too often the boys had a major battle crossing the Sierra for Christmas) and why I try not to fly in the winter.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Such an adventure. But what a nice change of plans in the long run, to be able to spend more time together.

No storm stories from me. Our Christmas was sunny, a little frosty in the mornings, but warm, sunny and dry the rest of the day.

Happy New Year!
~Lisa

Linda said...

None here, I'm thankful to say, tho my parents in law got stuck at London Heathrow airport after a Thanksgiving visit to family in Maryland. It took them 3 days for them to get up to their home north of Edinburgh.

So nice that your son chose you!

Nan said...

Mine is baking brownies indoors, while Tom plowed with the tractor and shoveled. Tough work for me, eh? :<)

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Awwww, what a sweet son! Love those "Ben" boys: both my dad and brother were Ben, and my nephew is a Ben.

becky said...

I don't have a blizzard story. A snow story, maybe... but it only held me up a day or two here & there.
Well, at least you got to spend more time w/ Ben!
We're getting a little snow here now, but I'm sure I won't have to do THAT much digging to get to my car, LOL.

Beth said...

I'm sorry Ben had such difficulties, but it sounds like it worked out well in the end. How wonderful that you get to spend more time with him!

We had over a foot of snow here, but it was soft and lovely and my children were here to stay 'til after the New Year, so once we were able to get out for provisions, all was well.

Happy New Year to you and your family, Clair!