Monday, April 6, 2009

Another* Dishcloth Pattern

My friend and fellow knitter, Marie, gave me this lovely item as a gift. I thought that it was a decorative piece until she mentioned that it was a dishcloth. It's almost too pretty to use!


Round Dishcloth Pattern

Instructions:

Cast on 18 stitches.

This cloth is made up of 6 wedges, all exactly the same. When you finish knitting a wedge, you just go ahead and knit the next one. Then the edges are sewn together, the threads are woven in and the cloth is complete. 


Every wedge:

Row 1 : K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 2: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last st, turn.

Row 3: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 4: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.

Row 5: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 6: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.

Row 7: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 8: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.

Row 9: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 10: Cast off 4 stitches then K1, P2, K2, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.

Row 11: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 12: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.

Row 13: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 14: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.

Row 15: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 16: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.

Row 17: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 18: Cast off 4 stitches then K1, P2, K2, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.

Row 19: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.

Row 20: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 10 sts, turn.

Row 21: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 22: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 11 sts, turn.

Row 23: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 24: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 12 sts, turn.

Row 25: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 26: Cast off 4 sts, K across row.


*For a simpler dishcloth pattern, see An Old-Fashioned Project for Frugal Times



7 comments:

the7msn said...

Which reminds me...I'm now on my eighth dishcloth, all thanks to you. I knitted the first one from your original pattern, and it's still my favorite, but I've since switched to crocheting - seems the knitting was giving me tennis elbow or something.

clairz said...

Ha, ha, tennis elbow from knitting on the ranch! I just read on your blog about you singlehandedly moving something like 3000 pounds-worth of baled hay twice in one day. Don't be blaming my knitting patterns for your sore elbows...

You know, I always picture you knitting/crocheting on horseback.

Val said...

Not this beautiful style - but my aunt has been making knitted dish rags for years. I LOVE them (they work so well) - and they don't wear out! I have had some of mine for 10 years - and they look nearly new.

clairz said...

Mine hold up really well too, Val, but I find that the color washes out very quickly even though I keep the cloths away from anything with bleach in it.

I'm trying different kinds of cotton yarn to see if I can find something that is relatively colorfast.

June Saville said...

Bad luck about my arthritic fingers Clair.
June in Oz

clairz said...

But, June, I have arthritic fingers, too. I think that they would be worse if I didn't knit, but who knows?

Beth said...

That is the most beautiful dishcloth I ever saw. I'd have a very hard time, though, making myself use that pretty thing on my dirty, greasy dishes.