Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Delivering on Change: 100th Day Challenge

Start of a new day on the prairie












Here we are on the 100th day of the Obama administration. The President promised change and transparency and has been working very hard at providing both. Every time you turn on the TV, there he is, telling us what he is doing (transparency) and how things are being changed for the better. For an interactive map showing how the actions taken by the President and his administration have benefited people in your state, go to http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/foundationforchange

It's been a long time since I've felt so inspired by a President. Mr. Obama is a teacher at heart and that is always evident when he speaks--every speech I hear seems to have something in it for me, and I am left with things to think about--especially about how I can work toward helping with positive change in our country. 

I like the way he gives us all concrete challenges, such as this one in his April 21st speech on community service:

...[April 29] marks the 100th day of my administration. In [the] next eight days, I ask every American to make an enduring commitment to serving your community and your country in whatever way you can. Visit whitehouse.gov to share your stories of service and success. And together, we will measure our progress not just in the number of hours served or volunteers mobilized, but in the impact our efforts have on the life of this nation. 

I am lucky enough to have plenty of time to give to my community, and take great pleasure in doing so. It helps me to meet people and to make new friendships. I knit sweaters for children through Knit for Kids; knit and crochet with a group of women who make baby blankets for new mothers; work with a middle-aged man who is learning to read through the local Literacy Council; and I spend one morning a week at an elementary school tutoring young readers. 

Sometimes my volunteer hours add up to well over 100 hours a month! I would never have had that kind of time before retiring, but even when I was still working I started on my Knit for Kids goal of 100 sweaters hand knit for needy children. 

I hope that you and everyone you know will rise to this challenge of giving back to the community. If you would like to find volunteer possibilities close to home, a good place to start is at http://www.whitehouse.gov/change/ to find service opportunities and to share your story. 



6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I continue to be amazed at how well he is handling all the problems we face these days. He is indeed a teacher and do hope we can continue to learn from him. Great post!

Linda said...

A very good post. I hadn't really thought about him as a teacher. I can't imagine why I missed that. Of course he's a teacher. Thanks again for this good post. I am greatly encouraged by President Obama's grasp of the whole picture.

clairz said...

You know, I once had a principal who taught constantly through example. She was there to govern the school, of course, but also to teach us how to teach and she did it by--not saying, this is how you teach and impart information--but by the way she ran our staff meetings. I would go away thinking, so that is the right way to run a classroom and make sure that everyone is excited and involved and gets your message and remembers your words.

Every time I hear President Obama speak, I think about his words for a long time, but also about the morality of the man, which can only be understood by his manner and his actions, day after day.

the7msn said...

If you haven't already, check out this newly released slideshow. It's terrific.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/04/28/Delivering-on-Change-an-Inside-Look/

clairz said...

Linda C., thank you for the link. That was a fantastic slideshow of the President's time in office, behind the scenes. It was almost exhausting to watch--I'm glad he is a young man with a lot of energy. I'm so proud of him!

Northanna said...

The President inspires me. I am so glad that he was elected. He is intelligent and is solution-oriented and he really inspires me. It was a wonderful validation that on the night of election; I saw so many people vote for him (and for change) that it was a landslide vote. Long Live a Happy and Joyous Life, Mr. President. I feel the country could not be in better hands than his.