Friday, April 10, 2009

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency


You'll rarely read anything on this blog about television because, although I watch it now, I've spent most of my life up to this point avoiding the ubiquitous TV. When I was a child, my family would insist that I put down my book and join them in the living room to watch The Jackie Gleason Show or Red Skelton. Imagine having to coax a child to watch television!

Now, here I am, breaking with my own tradition and recommending--no, insisting!--that you watch HBO's new series, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It is based on the series of books by Alexander McCall Smith, and the main character is the melodiously named Precious Ramotswe. Although the filmmakers have taken some liberties, you will still love the characters, the setting, the language, the accents, the music, and the story. 

To read about the books and to find out why you should be reading them, see my post from last year called Meet Precious Ramotswe.

Image is from TVScoop.com.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks, Clairz. I will check it out. The Jackie Gleason Show and Red Skelton were my fathers favortie shows! I hated Red Skelton! Happy Easter.

clairz said...

We sure didn't have many TV choices in the old days. No wonder I like to watch now!

Happy Easter to you, too, Judy. And to everyone else!

Rain Trueax said...

I don't watch much tv but thought I'd give this a try after your review. Totally delightful as you said!