Monday, June 20, 2011

Arizona Highway


When I was a little kid our family took a wonderful trip to Arizona (see The Tenderfeet Camp with the Real Cowboys). Afterwards, someone gave our family a subscription to Arizona Highways, which contained the most beautiful photography I had ever seen. 

 

I spent a lot of time with those magazines and came to believe that Arizona was the true West. It still seems so to me, although I see a lot of what looks like cowboy country here in New Mexico.


These photos are from our recent trip through Arizona on our way to California. They were taken near the Arizona - New Mexico border along I-10.


As the smoke from the Arizona fires drifts over us here in the Mesilla Valley in southern New Mexico, I keep thinking about these areas and their wildlife.

7 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous captures, Clariz! I do love Arizona and the horror of the fires there is heartbreaking. Hope you have a good, smoke-free week!

Sylvia

Martha Z said...

And I keep thinking of you and whether the smoke is causing any hardship in your area.
I know how oppressive the heat and smoke can get and yes, even the creatures who survive the fires may not survive the loss of habitat.

EG CameraGirl said...

The fires are very scary indeed.

I too love Arizona. My grandparents retired there in the 1970s and so I got to visit the Southwest a few times. OH how I enjoyed those trips!

Ms. Becky said...

been thinking of you and fellow south-westerners. it seems it's always something. the news here is busy with the stories and footage. heartbreaking. your photos are lovely as usual, and you do a great job of depicting the unique color of those rock formations. take good care.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful country out there. The landscape is amazing.

matron said...

Your photos are beautiful and I always enjoy seeing different landscapes from around the world.
I have seen the fires on the news,such a terrible disaster,I feel so sorry for everyone affected by them.

Joyful said...

Beautiful scenery and your photos of it are wonderful too. I've never been to Arizona. I like your new header too!