Monday, September 26, 2011

Breakfast at the Boston Public Library

Continuing the story of our trip by rail to Boston (all posts are indexed here, for those of you who just can't get enough of other people's endless vacation pictures):

I'm pretty sure that Beez didn't plan it this way, but our hotel in Boston was right next door to the Boston Public Library, a National Historic Landmark. On our first morning in Boston, we strolled over there for breakfast and to meet our friend, Greg, who had driven down from New Hampshire.


On the way, we saw a Duck Tour bus/boat. These World War II-style amphibious vehicles take visitors around the city and right into the Charles River. 


Libraries grow with the times, and the Boston Public Library is no exception. Its building at Copley Square was built in 1895, with an addition in 1972. 


Between the old and new buildings there is a wonderful courtyard. We picked up our breakfast at the in-library cafe, and headed outdoors to admire the fountain, the morning, the beautiful buildings, and to catch up on news with Greg, who was one of my students way back when he was in elementary school.





The display in the foyer of the newer library building was all about Boston's role in the Civil War, and we admired a signed, first edition copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe.


Greg (left), has grown a bit since third grade, when I first knew him. 


I couldn't resist taking a photo of the first streetside pissoir that I have ever seen. Very civilized, I think.

Then we headed back to the hotel to get ready for a limousine ride to America's most beloved ball park and a very special baseball game.

9 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

What an interesting trip. I envy you the experience.

Sylvia K said...

I love Boston although I haven't been there in many years. What a terrific library! Sounds like a really fun trip and that's terrific! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Danni said...

I have not been to Boston since I was 2 years old. Probably changed a bit since then ... about time for another trip! :-)
I sure hope you are enjoying the Kai-llama fiber process - I feel more than a little badly, after your comment this morning, that you're still cleaning all the debris out... :-(

charlotte g said...

Thank you for a trip I will probably never make in facetime:) BBTW, what was the distinctive building with the blue (copper?) roof?
I look at all these, and think of the 400-year-old buildings here and there in NM, and I can see, yes, how you could attach. The tile roofs lasted a long time in all climates, didn't they?

clairz said...

Charlotte, those roof shots were details of the library building we were looking at in the courtyard where we had our breakfast.

Peg said...

I haven't been inside the 'BPL' since the early 1970's... I just to eat my lunch on the steps (in good weather of course)... Thank you for sharing.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm driving backwards here, since I already saw the Fenway Park post. This is a wonderful library -- beautiful building, all those wonderful books, all that history -- and breakfast!!!! I could live there (almost literally).

Bill taught middle school and whenever we visit here in Oregon he'll have somebody come up to say hi and thank him or whatever and he never recognizes the grown up person! (I guess it's a compliment tnat he hasn't changed that much over all the years.) Good for you for keeping in touch all these years with some of your students.

clairz said...

Sallie, I went to a very sad funeral for one of my old students and was overwhelmed by the number of former students who came up with a hug and memories of our times together when they were children. I was absolutely stunned by the fact that all of these fine young adults remembered me, and was very embarrassed to think that I didn't recognize a one of them!

becky said...

What a great time you've had! Nice to meet up w/ your former student!