Monday, September 12, 2011

By Rail Across the Country

Our first train pulls into the station in Albuquerque, ready for us to climb aboard. We were so excited!
A week or so ago I took a little break from blogging, ostensibly  to work on some fiber projects. While I was knitting, Beez and I took a train trip across the country. We had many adventures: We visited America's most beloved ballpark, we ate (always with the eating, I know, I know!) at America's "oldest restaurant in continuous service," we met up with friends and family, and we met people from all over the U.S.--we even dined (eating again!) on the train with a couple from Australia.

At our destination, we stayed in a historic and elegant hotel ("one of the five greenest luxury hotels" in America). If you know us at all, you will notice that the luxury hotel part is very out of character. We are way more Motel Six kind of people, because we often travel with our dogs and we have to choose places where we are all welcome. However, this trip was in celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary and that called for something special. My good husband, Beez, put the whole thing together and I am still thanking him for planning such an amazing and special trip, where the journey was as much fun as the destination. 

Our sweet Auntie Bucksnort stayed home with our animals and hers all mashed up into one great big dog/cat/chicken pack-flock. We couldn't have done it without her! Here is one of her emails to us while we were gadding about:

This is a full time job with all these digestive systems churning away. There's always something going in one end and coming out the other, every minute of the day. It's like a factory around here.

Cody is still being a great big little piglet. He never touches his special dry food. Skimpy spent the night outside last night. I couldn't find her anywhere. She finally showed up this morning. Chickens are fat and happy, getting lots of scraps and scratch.

Petey is everyone's favorite toy, he just rolls around on his back waving his arms in the air while the wild bunch snarls and puts his head in one mouth or another and fights over their squiggly little toy. He just lies there grinning.

The mosquitoes are REALLY really really bad, inside and out. I have to put on repellant before I go to sleep!

And that's the news from Lake Poop-Be-Gone.

In the next few days, I'll share the details of the trip with you. Just think, it will be like watching some friend's never-ending vacation slideshow, only you can opt out with the click of a button.



9 comments:

Mary Hulser said...

Can't wait to read all the details from the trip, but I'm also waiting to read more about the fleece project. We went to the Sterling Fair yesterday and Pat and I are both ready to become hookers (rug). I had no idea it was so simple. Pat has been researching kokopeli art designs to copy. Hopefully this new hobby will keep us busy and distracted, since we've had no word yet from the potential rent to owners.

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

Even though I heard my own personal account of your trip when you returned (thank you for indulging my desperate need for human contact after spending so many days a a member of Pack Poop-Be-Gone), I can't wait to read about it!

the7msn said...

I, for one, will not be clicking away from the slideshow. Can't wait to see all the places you visited and hear all your adventures.

Ms. Becky said...

I'm very much looking forward to reading about your adventures! I recently had to cancel my Amtrak reservation because the train was 5 hours late for 2 days. then they wanted to put me on a bus for the same price! I declined and found other transportation, but I love traveling by train! this is going to be very special. happy day to you Clairz.

Joyful said...

Happy anniversary! Wonderful of your husband to organize such a lovely trip for you. I'm waiting for your photos ;-)

Nan said...

I've always loved looking at people's vacation and family photos! I wonder if you mean Fenway?? The note from the animal sitter is hilarious!!! Oh, I loved it.

Linda said...

Oooh, train across the USA - one of my dreams! 'The City of New Orleans' is one of my favourite songs.
Lake Poop Be Gone indeed!

becky said...

Clair, I have a lot of catching up to do on your trip! Cross country by train sounds like a lot of fun, and what a special anniversary trip to remember!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!!

~Lisa