Monday, July 20, 2009

A New Part of the World (For Me)

We traveled right across part of the middle of the state yesterday, going from Clovis to Estancia. Along the way we stopped at Laguna del Perro, a name that our dogs appreciated. I learned that the Estancia Basin, located between the Manzano Mountains to the west and the Pedernal hills to the east, was the site of a 150-foot deep lake during Pleistocene times*, and has long been a place for salt collection by native peoples.


Obviously, the signs themselves have provided recreational opportunities for passing target shooters. I'm not such a gun fan myself, and I wonder about how many of my fellow motorists are shooting out of their windows on their way down the road they are sharing with me and my family.


*The Pleistocene spanned from 1.8 million to 10,000 years ago

7 comments:

the7msn said...

See that bullet hole just to the left of the Highway 60 sign at Scholle? I live just about two inches south of there. Next time you're in the neighborhood, let me know!

June Saville said...

Crikey Clair those bullet holes give me the shivers. I don't remember seeing even one in a sign here.
June in Oz

clairz said...

Well, June, what can I say? Apparently there are a lot of guns being carried here. I sometimes wonder what the ladies in my knitting group are carrying in their knitting bags.

clairz said...

Linda, you are such a cowgirl, living seven miles south of nowhere and two inches south of a bullet hole!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very cool. I've been meaning to get out there sometime. Looks like a pretty neat, although sparse place.

~Lisa

clairz said...

Lisa, stay tuned. The land changes dramatically as we get closer to the Manzano Mountains, a few miles down the road (and over the next few days here).

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay. We live in the northern section of the Manzano mountains. We enjoy hiking all throughout. Also love Quarai, too.

Have fun! :)

~Lisa