Monday, April 11, 2011

The Back Road to Hatch

We drove the back road up to the town of Hatch last week. It was a beautiful day. 


The Rio Grande was running a bit fuller than we have seen recently; irrigation season is here.


For such a dry land with no rain here since last September, water is always a potential danger. When it does rain, much of this road is impassable. There are big dips in the roadway to allow the water to run down through the arroyos, because the dry and sandy soil can't absorb the sudden onslaught of water from the rain.


Here we are looking up a dry arroyo from the road. 


And this shot was taken directly across the road, showing how running water can cut through the dry land as it heads down toward the river. At this point, though, any free running water is just a memory.


You can see the effects of irrigation, though. I love the contrast of the spring greens with the dry rangeland. 


And here is one of the obligatory standing-in-the-middle-of-an-empty-road photos that all New Mexican photographers just have to shoot. Who could resist, with the lack of traffic and the incredibly empty spaces?

7 comments:

Mary Hulser said...

I really enjoyed these photos and your comments. So, the desert REALLY IS different, huh? And the last one just made me smile.

becky said...

I love the first shot- how it looks like the river turns at the top. And yes, who can resist the "middle of the road" shot- I love it! Good to see green. We are just starting to to get buds on the trees at lower elevation, but our mountain wildflowers will still be awhile. I'm excited for them, though!

JC said...

You are a silly !!!

Ms. Becky said...

I love your photos. and the dryness there is one of the reasons I debate ever living there, in spite of this beauty. what a contrast to our worlds - I live where water is so plentiful, right next to a great lake, and where you live it's so arid. but that's the beauty of our planet, isn't it? "The Road To Hatch" sounds like a great title for a book. I love your middle-of-the-road shot :)

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

We drove that road on one of our visits to the area. We stayed at Leasburg SP - nice area. Loved 'Cruces. Have you made it to the Ranch Museum yet? We thought it well worth the trip.

Miss the weather in NM. :-(

clairz said...

Thank you all for the comments. This is a really beautiful ride, quite different from going up the highway which gives mainly desert views.

Raymona/Was Soggy, believe it or not, we haven't gotten to the Ranch Museum yet. There is so much to do here! It looks like I missed their women's work exhibit, but I see that there are now exhibits and films about the Dust Bowl, which has always fascinated me. We'll get there, and I'll report back!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

You know these shots really look like paintings, right??? The bright green against the rest of the dry looking brown is my favorite...