Monday, April 4, 2011

Come Walk With Me

Scene from the Morning Mile and a Half


Will you come along with me...

We will watch the budding trees

In the fresh spring-tide,
While the murmurs of the breeze
Through the branches glide.

~From Will You Come Along With Me? by James Clerk Maxwell

Having finished knitting a hundred sweaters for Knit for Kids (more about that later), I've decided that a person can accomplish a hundred of almost anything. It's just a matter of starting and then going on, one step at a time. 

Here are my new goals: I am going to read a hundred books this year, up from 92 last year; walk a hundred (and hopefully more) miles; and get started on another hundred little kid charity sweaters. Why not? Perhaps I'll live to be a hundred because I will have so many things left to do. 

Won't you walk along with me? All you have to do is to figure out the length of your favorite walk (mine is a mile and a half); or you can wear one of those little gadgets that measures how many steps you take. I understand that phones have apps that will measure the length of your walk as you go. Then you can just add up the miles every day.

This is not a competitive thing, no sir! I am announcing my intentions publicly with the hope that I will embarrass myself into continuing toward the goal. It worked with the hundred sweaters, why not with the walking?

I've put a little box down below on the left of this blog called "A Hundred Mile Walk" that will show us all how far I've walked, starting 4/3/2011. There! Now there's no turning back...

7 comments:

JC said...

I will try to walk with you. I did walk a bit but it started to rain like crazy for weeks. You'd have to live here to know what I mean.

I have walking tapes though so I will give it a try.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Hey there...I'm right behind you! I'll throw my Nike's on the trail with you! What a motivator you are; well, that or I'm easily led! Hehehe

Sandy ~~~ said...

I really like the HUNDRED idea...I am going to (covertly) join you. With a move coming up who knows when and where I will walk, but I will walk. Thanks for the invite!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good for you Clair! That's just like my reasons for joining the reading challenges -- and making myh own -- (for myself, not for competition). I really really really should do it for walking/exercising too. Thanks for the motivation.

becky said...

Great goals, Clair! I can do the hundred miles no problem, but one hundred books? I don't think I'll make it! Congrats on your completion of the knitting the sweaters for the kids.... you will be busy for quite awhile w/ the next hundred!
hmmmm...... I think i've got a pedometer somewhere...

Linda said...

I'm tempted, but do you think my walk to and from work will count? It's not my favourite walk!

clairz said...

I'm so glad that some of you will be joining me. I've only done six miles so far, but I feel great (and very virtuous)!

Linda, I was thinking of you when I first came up with this idea. I imagine you walk a hundred miles in a week or so already.