Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Water, At Last!

Caballo Lake


New Mexico is big, but dry. Geographically it is the fifth largest state, yet it has the least amount of surface water of all fifty states, as a percentage of its land mass (0.2%).  (From Quick Facts About New Mexico).


We have had .04 inch (not a typo) of precipitation so far this year, and that came as a dusting of snow back in February. It's so very dry here right now that I am starting to have dreams about the sound of rain falling on the roof. 


Because water/moisture/rainfall has become a distant memory, we took a trip to Caballo Lake a few days ago. We needed to see water, lots of water. 




And it really helped to see all that water. We'll still take any excess rainfall you might have that you can send our way. 

3 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

My SIL a native of AZ is still hearing about her excitement about going to a "lake" near her home and dragging my two brothers with her...it's been 40 years! They called it the trip to L's Mud Puddle. When you don't have a basic like water, you appreciate what little you find. She now lives in FL so has PLENTY of water! Your lake looks like a welcoming place to sit and enjoy the sight! I'd send you some rain but its so darn hard to wrap!

Ms. Becky said...

I'm surprised that the lake has that much water, considering the lack of rainfall/snow. I understand the need to see some water when living in that much dryness. I haven't visited in some years now, but I know whenever I did, the drought was serious. It has been raining every other day here for weeks - seems like feast or famine. if only we could share, it would all even out. if it were up to me, I would send some your way!

Sandy ~~~ said...

I have over 28 inches and am trying to think of a way to package for you!