Thursday, July 1, 2010

Flames in the Night for Skywatch

They say that to become a good photographer you should shoot a lot and keep only the best of your photos. However, I must tell you that I still want to show you these not-very-good photos of one of our recent wildfires. I have done the best that I can with my skills at present and I realize that the results leave a lot to be desired...

In the first picture, the leaves at the top of the photo are blurry because the wind was blowing quite briskly and I was making a relatively long exposure. To see the wildfire, you should click on the picture to enlarge it, then look to the right of the telephone pole. The other lights are coming from the usual city night lights, and that long strip of light in the right side of the frame is from the headlights of a passing car.



In the second picture (enlarged to the point of blurriness), I have cropped out all the other distracting lights from the city, but left in the telephone pole for reference. The flames that you see are up in the Organ Mountains. They eventually came within one mile of the luxurious homes in the Soledad Canyon area of Las Cruces. I kept getting up to watch in the night, and was amazed and saddened to see how the fire leapt from spot to spot, even moving down the mountain, which seemed counterintuitive to me.


Now, a week later, the two wildfires are out, having burned over 7000 acres. No (human) lives were lost, no buildings were burned.

It still looked a lot like terror to me.

To look at skies all over the world, be sure to visit Skywatch Friday.

14 comments:

Diane AZ said...

Remarkable photos, the sky looks eerie with that orange color.

Beth said...

Hi, Clair. Sorry to be absent for a while---Benjamin's been in the hospital with a fractured vertebra; Ariel's been very sick with mono. It's been a bit difficult.

Your pictures of the wildfires are very well-done, but they certainly are scary. I like your golden-skied header picture better.:-) I'm so glad to know that no one was hurt. I fear we will have wildfires here if we don't soon get some decent rain.

Beth said...

I'm back to thank you for your comment---I think we must have commented on each other's blogs at about the same time! It really meant a lot to me to have you asking how I am, Clair. Sorry if my reply sounds a bit grim---just being honest. I thought about writing a post about how things are, but fear I will sound too bleak and hate for my only post in two months to be a downer.

JC said...

Wow. I've seen fires while on 'road' trips but nothing that close. Glad it's out now.

Sylvia K said...

Those are remarkable captures, Clariz! And eerie and scary and dramatic. Glad you're safe and hope they get it put out entirely and soon! Take care, stay safe!

Sylvia

Sandy ~~~ said...

Scary --- and fascinating stuff --- wildfires. Thanks for sharing!

mARTy said...

i like the first shot-interesting composition. and it really reminds of flames

EG CameraGirl said...

How awful that so many acres have been consumed by fire! Your photos are great!

BdVdB said...

I have to disagree with your assessment that this is a "not-so-good" photo. Sure, there may be some blur and movement, but it really adds to the eerie nature of this photo. And it's compositionally interesting. I've always been a fan of abstract photography and this has been one of my favorite photos of your so far. It's very stirring. I was reminded of fire and danger even before you pointed out where to look for the actual fire.

Steffi said...

Wow...great shots but dangerous!!I like the orange colours!Have a nice weekend!

Ma.links said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful colors.
http://malinks.blogg.se/2010/july/skywatch-friday-51.html

Anonymous said...

One can only wish that all of you will be safe - to be honest, am only waiting when these will start over here again.
Please have a nice Friday.

daily athens

eileeninmd said...

Glad you and everyone was safe and no one was hurt. Fires just terrify me. Neat photos! Have a great 4th of July weekend!

syel said...

scary, although i have to admit that i love the colours. glad that no lives lost although yes, it's eerie.