Saturday, September 13, 2008

17 Kinds of Baptists

Not a Baptist church


You might have thought I was kidding, when I mentioned seventeen kinds of Baptists in an earlier post. There are actually way more, but I liked the way the word "seventeen" sounded in that context.

Here are some of them, just a few of the vast variety: General, Regular, Old Regular, Missionary, Old Time Missionary, Central, Primitive, Christian Unity, Full Gospel, Fundamental, Six-Principle, Evangelical, Independent, Landmark, Liberty, New Testament, Free Will, Progressive, South, and one of my favorites, Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestination Baptists.

4 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Knew there were a lot, didn't realize there were that many -- unfortunately, at least from what I knew about Baptists in Texas, they're all Bush supporters for the most part. Of course, I didn't agree with them on most other issues as well. Always learn something interesting and/or fun from your posts! Thank you!

Margie's Musings said...

You're right! There are a lot more then 17 different kinds of Baptists. You have named most of the ones I know.

clairz said...

There are plenty more on the Wikipedia list of U.S. Baptist sub-denominations.

The same article lists what must be hundreds of other Baptist denominations from other countries around the world.

Quiet Paths said...

I knew there were lots but....sheesh! Splinters of splinter-groups I suppose.