Friday, June 25, 2010

Bosque Gardens

Beez is a good, good man. Even though there are games on (basketball? soccer? I really don't pay much attention) he will take the time to go for a walk with me through the hummingbird and butterfly gardens down at the Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park.

These are fairly new gardens and the plants are just getting started. The butterflies and hummingbirds act like they don't mind at all, and were just waiting for this special place to be built for them.

Eventually, this arch will be covered with honeysuckle


The little orange flags show where more new plants will be going in (planted by volunteers)


One of my favorites, the desert willow tree, with its lovely orchid flowers


I've been seeing these red yuccas in bloom all over town; they are so striking we just bought one down at the Farmers Market for our own garden

Red yucca blossom detail--no wonder the hummingbirds love them

There are just a few more days to vote in the New Mexico Days of Enchantment Photo Contest. You can vote as many times as you want, but only once per photo per day. See my photos here (they are under clairz in case that link doesn't take you to my entries). Your votes are really helping! The response to this contest has been amazing, and the views of New Mexico you will see there are really incredible.

5 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Great new look! I would love to attract hummingbirds to our yard; we've tried a lot of things but no luck yet. You're pics are incredible!

Sandy ~~~ said...

What a lovely place...tell me please, how do you pronounce "Bosque"?

clairz said...

Thank you, Deb. Honestly, we didn't even have to try to get the hummingbirds to come to our feeders--they were already hovering around, as if to say "well?"

Sandy, I have always pronounced "bosque" in the Spanish way, which you can hear on this page. However, I hear an awful lot of Anglos saying bos'ky. Just ain't right, but it could be that I'm the one who is wrong.

Diane AZ said...

How wonderful to stroll through the hummingbird and butterfly gardens. Those desert willows are amazing!

Quiet Paths said...

I would love to visit these gardens regardless of the new plants. It looks so interesting.