Friday, June 11, 2010

Breakfast, Lunch, or Supper at the International Delights Café

It took me a while to get around to going to the International Delights Café. For one thing--and I know this is strange--but the name did nothing for me. More importantly, I couldn't imagine how a place stuck in the corner of a supermarket parking lot could be any good. Was I ever wrong!

The first time I went to this indoor/outdoor café, I wanted to stay and stay. When I finally tore myself away, it was as though I had been on a little vacation. The patio entrance is cleverly constructed so that you feel that you are immediately very far away from the supermarket parking lot you just walked through. There is a fountain (of course, my favorite feature anyplace!), marvelous music that makes you want to break into a belly dance, lovely vegetation, a shady patio, and an atmosphere that isn't like any other place I've been to around Las Cruces.

Birds drop by the fountain from time to time to bathe and drink
Once seated, you just feel like you could stay forever. Groups gather around the tables; people come and go; they eat, talk, argue, laugh, listen to the music, read newspapers, play backgammon or chess, and just generally kick back. Dogs are welcome, and the regulars curl up under the tables with their own private water dishes nearby.

The patio offers lots of protection and privacy from the hustle and bustle of the nearby shops

You can see the complete menu on the cafe website. We have had breakfast, lunch, supper, evening drinks, and morning lemonade there, while stretched out in the comfy chairs, listening to the trickle of water and the songs of birds. The lamb kabob is delicious; I can also recommend anything with grilled chicken--the sandwich, the salad, or the kebab. Spend some time on the website and check out the photos from both the restaurant and the fine little grocery store. One last thing--don't miss the great selection of coffees, teas, and Italian sodas. Oops--and how could I forget the amazing selection of pastries?

Part of a Middle Eastern breakfast--falafel, hummus, feta cheese, and lots of olives
Don't forget to keep voting every day in the New Mexico Day of Enchantment Photo Contest, which is continuing to the end of June.

1 comment:

JC said...

Sounds like a lovely place.
Wish I had somewhere nearby that was good ...