Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Supper at Andele in Mesilla

I'm sure you know by now that we love to go to Mesilla, which is just south of Las Cruces. It is always charming, with its narrow brick roads winding between crooked old adobe buildings, its wonderful plaza that is always good for people watching, and its shops and restaurants.

Somehow, we had never visited Andele Restaurante in Mesilla until a few weeks ago. It is now one of our all-time favorites in this little town, and I can't wait to go back.

Fresh, warm, homemade tortilla chips were brought to us, along with an invitation to visit the salsa bar. What a great idea--salsa choices in all kinds of reds and greens! All were fresh and delicious, and we tried several.

For the main dish, my son and I decided to share the specialty of the house, Tacos al Carbon, which they say serves two. We could have shared it among the three of us and still had leftovers. It came with our choice of two meats. At the recommendation of our server, we chose marinated and flame-broiled pork and chicken (beef was also available). The meats were so flavorful! (This is how they are prepared). We got a heaping platter of pork and chicken with grilled onions, and a really good-sized bowl of fresh guacamole, wedges of lime, sour cream, frijoles charros, cilantro, Mexican slaw, lettuce, and tomato. We could assemble our tacos with any combination and top them with any of the salsas from the salsa bar. Squeezing fresh lime juice over a taco was a new experience for me, and now I understand why our local Mexican grocery store sells so many limes. Delicious!

I didn't get any photos of the place--it's pretty plain looking, situated as it is in a small mall to the side of the road. But the eating experience was not to be missed and the service was wonderful--the perfect balance. Click here to check out the menu.

3 comments:

Ms. Becky said...

you've put me back in New Mexico this morning. thanks for all the description of your experience - the tastes and colors of the meal. This place where you've eaten sounds like it would become one of my favorite haunts. I'm here in snow and cold but you've managed to brighten my day with a bit color and spice. How blessed you are to live there.
I also want to thank you for your kind comments about my photos. Your encouragement means a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
I have to admit I haven't had much Mexican/western food before, but I would love to try some.

It sounds like you had a great meal and time at Andele Restaurante.

I am so sorry I haven't visited lately. So much going on lately.
Hope to be back soon though.
Have a great day.
Pam

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Mmmmm! Sounds like my kind of place to visit. We're planning a road trip to Las Cruces soon and will put this on our list of places to eat! Thanks for the tip!

~Lisa