Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cool Weather, Hot Chiles, and Hot Air Balloons



It's a wonderful time to be in New Mexico. We picked up another big bag of chiles at the Farmers Market yesterday, got them roasted, and brought them home in a car that smelled a little spicy, a little smoky, and a little hot. We met some folks at the market who said when they moved here a year ago from Virginia they had never heard of green chiles. They must have learned to like them, because they were getting a couple of big bags roasted. And they were smiling. 

Chiles make us smile, here in southern New Mexico.

***Note for non-New Mexicans: The green chile--the vegetable grown here (some right across the road from our house!)--is always spelled with an "e" at the end, at least it is in New Mexico, because the word comes from the Spanish. Those who accidentally or intentionally spell the name of this vegetable with an "i" at the end are immediately pegged as Texans. Chili is that deliciously spicy meat and bean and red chile combination that I am about to cook up in the crock pot this afternoon. 

Once we got the chiles home, we set up the kitchen for what has become a fall ritual. The hot roasted chiles were dumped into an ice water bath to cool them down and then they were drained. Next, they were packed into freezer bags, seven to a bag. We laid the bags flat on cookie sheets to freeze them, then collected all the bags and lined them up in the freezer for rellenos, sauces, stews, and green chile cheeseburgers all year long until it is chile harvest time again. 



This morning we drove before dawn over the mountains and through the Tularosa Basin with our friends, Pat Hulser and Mary Hulser, to watch 40+ hot air balloons launch at White Sands. With our senior pass and Pat's handicap sticker, we were able to park right next to the balloon crews for a close up look at all sorts of hot air balloonery. 

We're back home now. The weather is cool and sunny. Beez is watching football and doing laundry. The dogs are snorfeling (you heard me, Spell Checker, I said snorfeling, not snorkeling. It's a word in our family) around the back yard looking for ground squirrels. I am cooking up some chili with meat and beans to go in the crockpot and baking a batch of custard and an apple pie with apples from a local orchard, thanks to our kind friends who picked them. Life is good!

13 comments:

Sylvia K said...

First of all, I love hot green chiles and secondly, I love air balloons!! My youngest daughter lives in California and several years ago when I was visiting her we took a balloon ride and it was awesome!! I loved being able to look the birds in the eye!! Such a wonderful, colorful post for the day, Clair! Delightful! Hope you have a great week!!

Lorac said...

So colourful! I would love a ride in one. One day perhaps...

Nan said...

First of all I love the banner photo! Such a cozy house. I like the fireplace, the floor, and that glimpse of shelving through the door - kitchen?
And those balloons are like magic, something out of a story, not real. I've never seen one.

clairz said...

Sylvia and Lorac, I thought about what it would be like to go up in a balloon. Interestingly enough, the balloons today just went a short distance before landing. We figured it must be because of the expense due to the high cost of propane.

Nan, I'm glad you like the house. The room through the French doors is my husband's study/music room. It has more French doors going out to a patio, and big windows looking through the orchard and up to the mountains. I do not know how we got so lucky!

Sage said...

Balloons are very colorful and fun to photograph but we do get tired of them when they go over our house day after day after day after day. My horses don't mind as long as they keep their distance but then we have idiots in the balloons that get mad when we won't let them land in the horse pens. They also think speeding laws don't apply to them. As long as they follow the rules their all right but just a few can ruin it for all.

Linda said...

'chile' is viewed with awe mingled with suspicion here. 'Watch out, it's got chillies in it'. Or 'I think that'll be too hot for me, it's got chillis in it.'

becky said...

Oh, how I love that green chile!!!!!!!!!!!
The freezer at my new place is on the brink (kinda like frost-defrost-frost) so it does not bide well for stocking up. But I have been partaking in fresh roasted at the farmer's mkt. The balloons look like fun. I haven't been to the ABQ Balloon Fiesta since '08, but mom & gram's will be here this year & we will likely go.:)
Custard & fresh apple pie? Yum-O!! I wish you could send some up!
Oh, Randy & I have not yet met, though one of these days I am sure we'll bump into each other!

Quiet Paths said...

How fun. And so very colorful! I would love to ride in one of those...
Once again I love your header photo.

Beth said...

Sounds like you had an almost perfect fall day, Clair. The ballons are gorgeous, but my favorite part is the chili and apple pie. :-) I can imagine just how wonderful that smelled.

Kate said...

My mouth is watering as my eye is entertained by the colorful balloons.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

This is a wonderful time of year for sure!
Our apple trees have been very very generous with us this year and I've been busy canning, freezing and baking all things apple.
And the scent of fresh roasted green chile this time of year can't be beat. I just want to lock the doors of the car and sit inside enjoying the scent of the green chile juices stewing! lol!
Our favorite ways to use green chile on a daily basis are in breakfast burritos (gotta use up all those fresh eggs from our chickens) and on pizza (my kids beg for home-made green chile pizza several times a week!).

And the hot air balloons are a sure sign of Autumn here in New Mexico. Up here we are gearing up for the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque in just another couple weeks. Already signs are going up welcoming the balloon crews to all the restaurants, pubs, and hotels.
Makes me so proud to be a New Mexican!

~Lisa

Val said...

I was really hoping to get to see the balloons at White Sands this year. I went about 10 years ago and it was an amazing event. You are lucky to live close by!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Talk about a perfect day! Wow. I wish I had some Hatch chiles right now..... or some of your chili for that matter. The balloon pictures are incredibly bright and beautiful.