Sunday, May 5, 2013

In the Garden This Morning

Just a couple of weeks ago, this was the garden scene from the front porch: I was happy for the flowers, but things were pretty sparse and the trees were still bare. 



With the arrival of Spring, our annual jungle-look flower garden starts taking shape out front. I wish you could have heard the morning birdsong as I took these photos. 

I love the early morning light. Even the spent pansy blossoms are glorious.


We are just at the end of pansy season; I planted these last November
and they have lasted all winter. The heat of April is getting to them now.

It's hard to get a shot of these brilliant cactus blooms: They are so much better in real life!

First blossoms on the Bertie Memorial Tree; a gift from Helen, this desert
bird of paradise was planted as a memorial to our dear Bertie Pierre

We are at the very beginning of hollyhock season; hundreds of buds
are waiting to open 



4 comments:

Joyful said...

I love your profusion of blooms. Here it has been too cold for me to really work in the garden but this past week, it has been mostly clean and manure added. Soon will be the planting in the mini garden and all the containers. Happy gardening ;-)

JC said...

I love this time of year with all the colors.

Linda said...

'The heat of April'. What a novel concept for me! Your hollyhocks look stunning.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh I love New Mexico.