Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Another Day on the Mountain

A clearer view than yesterday down to the Mesilla Valley

When I told you about how we hiked and biked on the mountain the other day, I pretty much gave you what my sister calls The Princess Bluebird version. Oh, yes, in a nod to reality I did mention panting and pesky flies, but I was going on and on about silence and solitude. What I didn't tell you was that after I got home from my uphill hike in the heat, I was violently ill. I don't know if it was the sun or something I ate, but it was very unpleasant, although I lost a pound (always good news). 

Destination: Organ Mountains, being declared a National Monument tomorrow!

Yesterday, we were back on the mountain, panting away on foot (me) and by bike (Beez). This time, however, we beat the heat by going earlier in the morning. The sky was also somewhat overcast, which helped keep things cooler. I found that my breathing was much easier, and the walk to the visitor center took less time and was more enjoyable. 

Hard to make out, but I had company on the road

I turned around to "admire the view" (catch my breath), just in time to see a small herd of deer crossing the road below me. I tend to keep an eye out for mountain lions and rattlesnakes, so these gentle fellow travelers were very welcome. 

4 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful place and a great place to hike!! Love the deer!! Hope your week is going well, Clairz!!

Jean (aka Auntie Bucksnort) said...

Oh no, the Sisty Ugler version! Vomiting!

How cool to catch a pic of the deer. You must have been fitting right into your surroundings consciousness-wise for them to expose themselves to you.

I'm so impressed that you're hiking. I don't do so well hiking in New Mexico because of the heat. It makes me feel like I'm going to explode - which anyone would be able to sense from my bright red face. You're a braver woman than I!

JC said...

Did you say rattle ?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oops...I should have read both posts before commenting on the first. Still everything I said is true, except for the violently ill part
:<(. Be careful ... heat and altitude can be lethal.