Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Knitting Hats for the Homeless

It gets cold here in the high desert during the winter time. Our local library sets up a Christmas tree every year, asking the community to decorate it with hats, scarves, and mittens for those who would appreciate a gift of warmth. The library staff gathers up the donations and makes sure everything gets to local organizations serving those without homes, those who need some help, and those who are fleeing north to find a better life. 

I started knitting these hats back in the summer. Sometimes I bought the yarn, and sometimes friends donated yarn. The simplicity of the pattern (Barley Hat from Tin Can Knits, available for free and including sizes for baby through adult) meant that I could knit through news programs, Congressional hearings, and the digital audio books that are another service of our library. I like the idea of being productive during otherwise idle time.

I have quite a bit of yarn left over, so I think I'll just get a head start on next year's donations. Here are the hats that I am putting under the tree today.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!








No comments: