Poor old lamp! It was a freebie from the Swap Shop at our town dump when we lived in New Hampshire long ago . Rotted silk shade...
... and tarnished base. Note that the base is off-center, too.
The first step was to remove the rotted silk from the shade.
Next, I made a pattern from a large sheet of gift wrapping and made a replacement shade of fabric, following the directions here: https://www.momtastic.com/diy/diy-for-home/104055-revamp-your-lamp-how-to-make-a-pretty-lampshade-cover/. I did add a plain white cotton lining to the new shade, a lesson learned from the last lampshade I made with just one layer of fabric. It was all put together with spray adhesive, my newest favorite tool.
I unscrewed the base and re-centered it, then sponged on some turquoise craft paint and brushed over it with some gold to highlight the texture. Nothing perfect here.
I'm not showing any close-ups of the lining, because once again--not perfect. Here is the finished lamp--all cheery, much less formal, and in my favorite colors. Best of all--someone else's trash is now my treasure.
Post a Comment