Saturday, January 3, 2009

Redbird Christmas


Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café) was such an inviting looking book that as soon as I brought it home from the library I just sat down in my old wing chair and started reading and didn't get up again until I was finished.

A lonely man in Chicago gets some worrying news from his doctor and travels to a small southern Alabama town to live out his last days. Although he is a stranger, he is taken into the bosom of the little riverside community and wonderful things start happening.

From the moment I started reading, I started smiling because I was sure that everything would turn out well. I've never smiled my way through a book with such absolute faith in where events were headed. Of course, that is not to say that unexpected events didn't happen along the way...

This is a perfect book for times like this; it's a lovely antidote to the evening news. Clear your schedule, get a cup of tea, and get ready for some serious smiling.

No comments: