Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Painting and Painting


I have been painting and painting, in between spinning and knitting and sewing curtains. Here is our dining room before, painted (by someone else) an uninteresting and rather dark shade of brown/beige/cafe au lait. Call it what you will, it really bothered me and this room was therefore underutilized except for my computing and flipping paper messes here and there. It also had those heavy wooden blinds that made everything seem dark and that always featured a good coat of impossible-to-remove dust that wafted in from the surrounding agricultural lands.

This is the room that you see when coming in the front door. No one knew what to call it; I thought it was too small for a living room, but just the right size for a dining room, since the kitchen is the next room you come to. After a bit of rearranging (something we love to do) a dining room is just what it became for Thanksgiving. 

Give me a day and I will show you the cheery results of paint and new curtains. Stay tuned. I sure do hope you like it!

By the way, please note the chicken cabinet, which has been with us in several of the places we've lived. We never have been very grown-up about furniture.

The chicken cabinet in our red New Hampshire living room


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog so much! My husband and I bought a home in NM last December and hope to retire there in three years. We plan to enjoy the area as you with lots of hiking and exploration of new destinations. I consider you a trailblazer and hope we make as many friends as you have. Our home in NM is completely painted a light sand color which we intend to change to a more vibrant shade.

Nancy

Margie's Musings said...

Neat! Very neat, Clair.ingl

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

OK, I'm excited to see the "after"! You crack me up..."have never been very grown-up about furniture." So funny. I love the chicken cabinet and it looks great in your former living room. Being grown-up is really only necessary on April 15 and when you're driving. Decorating is a free territory!

JC said...

Can't wait to see what you did with the room ...

Joyful said...

I love the new colour. I can't wait to see the rest of your "after". The chicken cabinet looks great! Hugs. xx

clairz said...

Penny/Joyful, my photos were misleading. The first one is the "before" picture in our house now, the second is to show our chicken cabinet in another setting. That's the living room we had several years ago in New Hampshire. Yes, I chose that stop sign red paint, and I loved it. It always scared our neighbors at night before the curtains were drawn, because they thought we were on fire! It was a lovely color to live with.

The new paint is quite different from either of the colors in today's photos and will appear on the blog tomorrow. I do hope you like it.

clairz said...

Thank you all for your comments. I was surprised to find that people were interested in the saga of my beige room, but very pleased. Nancy, I would love to hear more about your move to NM--where are you now?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I am in love with the chicken cabinet. I've never been a fan of cookie cutter furniture. It's got to have character and personality! I don't think that means it's not grown up furniture at all. It just means you have a charming creative style...and that's always a good thing.

Can't wait to see what all your hard work produced!

~Lisa

Ms. Becky said...

I love that chicken cabinet! and that you're not grown-up about furniture. how fun. happy day to you Clair.