Monday, May 4, 2009

For My Sister



Two quotes, both from An Island Garden Daybook, by Celia Thaxter:

October: The Norwegians have a pretty and significant word, "Opelske," which they use in speaking of the care of flowers. It means literally "loving up," or cherishing them into health and vigor.


April: The very act of planting a seed in the earth has in it to me something beautiful. I always do it with a joy that is largely mixed with awe. I watch my garden beds after they are sown, and think how one of God's exquisite miracles is going on beneath the dark earth out of sight. 

I never forget my planted seeds. Often I wake in the night and think how the rains and the dews have reached to the dry shell and softened it; how the spirit of life begins to stir within, and the individuality of the plant to assert itself; how it is thrusting two hands forth from the imprisoning husk, one, the root, to grasp the earth, to hold itself firm and absorb its food, the other stretching above to find the light, that it may drink in the breeze and sunshine and so climb to its full perfection of beauty. 

3 comments:

Linda said...

I have this book. I love Celia Thaxter.

JC said...

That's a beautiful explanation.

Beth said...

What lovely quotes! So poetic. I'm going to have to look for Celia Thaxter at the library. It's especially neat to read this since I just planted lots of seeds yesterday.